Monday, May 12, 2008

A Job - Campaign Manager for Ken Brenner

Yes.. that's right, I am now back to work.  Just four days after returning from Pittsburgh, I ran into an acquaintance who is running for Colorado state senate.  When I was sharing with him my enthusiasm for my experience in Pittsburgh working on the Obama campaign, he asked me if I wanted to be his campaign manager.

We met the following morning to seriously talk about it and I agreed.  I would never had thought that all my experiences with the dance company would actually prove to be a good background for being a campaign manager but it has.  

My time is spent between phoning, fundraising, event planning, data base design and management, and supervising volunteers.  And I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I love the diversity of the job and it feels good to be so busy.   Ken is running for the Colorado State Senate District 8 which is the North West area of Colorado.  It is an interesting and beautiful area including Glennwood Springs, extending South to Basalt which is close to Aspen.  Vail, Edwards, Minature and Red Cliffs are also part of it.  Then it goes up to the Wyoming Border and over to Utah including Steamboat Springs and Craig.  Already I'm learning lots about the area and attending all kinds of events.

Ken's area of expertise is water issues and he has been working actively in this area for years, particularly during the seven years he was on the Steamboat Springs City Council.

For me, I was quite surprised that I was so enthusiastic to join the work force again.  But the truth is that the timing was right for me and I like the fact that the job has an end point... November's election. 

It is important to balance my time by painting so I am managing to get in an hour or so most days.  I look forward to posting my new art works, but at a slower pace and I'll also be sharing some of my campaign experiences.  In the meanwhile I encourage you to check out Ken's website and his blog.


No comments: