Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Art Runs in the Family

I hunch that art runs in my veins. My grandfather painted and my sister is an artist. I treated myself to my first formal art class five years ago at age 60 and now am serious about painting and pleased to have been accepted in six juried shows.

My mom, Janet Klineman, had some interest in art when she was growing up. It wasn’t until she was visiting four and a half years ago that she got back into art. Seeing a still life set up that I was working on she became very interested. I suggested that she join me and gave her some charcoal and paper. She enjoyed drawing and began taking lessons when she returned to her home in Sarasota. She now is very serious, taking watercolor classes on a regular basis and exhibiting her work.

This fall she had two pieces on display at the Gulf Gate Branch, Selby Library as part of the Sarasota Adult and Community Education Center’s advanced watercolor class taught by Mary Lou Ringers. Here’s a photo of Mom and her painting of a sheep.

Mom’s portrait of her niece was accepted into the Arts Center Sarasota juried members’ exhibition. All works are “Twelve Inch by Twelve Inch.” This show is currently running until December 29th

Mom particularly enjoys painting animals and is often commissioned to paint watercolor portraits of pets. You can see more of her artistry by visiting: http://www.joannetuckerart.com/galleryjanet_klineman.html

No comments: